Speech Contest Purpose
- To provide an opportunity for speakers to improve their speaking abilities and to recognize the best as encouragement to all.
- To provide an opportunity to learn by observing the more proficient speakers who have benefited from their Toastmasters training.
District 6 Annual Speech Contests
There are two cycles of Speech Contests that are district wide; Fall and Spring. Each Toastmasters club has their own contest or selection process to choose a representative from the club. Winners advance through the organizational structure of clubs in four steps of a tournament (Club – Area – Division – District 6). There are two contest categories in the Fall and also two in the Spring. An individual may compete in both contests. Contestants and their club must be in good standing with Toastmasters International.
Preparing For a Speech Contest
Speech Contest Information from Toastmasters International
Speech contests are a Toastmasters tradition. For more information on speech contests, visit the Toastmasters International website Speech Contests page. You can read a copy of the rulebook or get information on ordering a kit to help you prepare and conduct a contest for your club.
|Item #||Item Description|
|1171DCD||Contest Rulebook (Digital)|
|Speech Contest Kits||Link to kits (purchase and digital versions)|
|Digital Files added with this product|
Speech Contest Kits are available at the Toastmasters International website. These includes kits for purchase as well as downloadable kits. This includes judges forms, certificates, tally sheets, eligibility forms, etc. Link to kits
Hosting a Successful Speech Contest
Theresa Kasel and Gretchen Coons have prepared a wealth of information on how to host a successful speech contest. Gretchen presented it at the District 6 TELI July 2007. The 50 page handout is available to you here. It includes descriptions of the contest roles, checklists, and a template for a contest script. Sample forms you could use for your programs and certificates are also included.
Warning, it is a large file and takes time to download. Hosting a Successful Speech Contest (WORD document 1.9 MB, updated July 2011)
Governors: Please see instructions if you have an Area or Division speech contest event to add to the District 6 calendar.
Contest Categories and Descriptions
- EVALUATION CONTEST (2 to 3 minutes) – To encourage development of evaluation skills.
At the beginning of the contest a five to seven minute test speech will be presented. Each contestant delivers an evaluation of the same speech.
- HUMOROUS SPEECH (5 to 7 minutes) – To recognize the value of humor in speaking.
- INTERNATIONAL SPEECH (5 to 7 minutes) – (To participate in any level of the International Speech Contest, a full member must have completed at least six manual speeches from the Competent Communication manual prior to the club contest. )
- TABLE TOPICS CONTEST (2 minutes) – To encourage development of impromptu and/or extemporaneous speaking skills.
- TALL TALES CONTEST (3 to 5 minutes) – To provide participants the opportunity to create an original, highly improbably, humorous tale.
District 6 Fall Speech Contest
The Fall Speech Contest Finals are held at the District 6 Fall Conference.
- Fall Conference 2013 Contest Page
- Fall Conference 2012 Contest Page
- Fall Conference 2011 Contest Page
- Fall Conference 2010 Contest Page
- Fall Conference 2009 Contest Page
- Fall Conference 2008 Review
District 6 Spring Speech Contest
The Spring Speech Contest Finals are held at the District 6 Spring Convention. Each Spring one of the categories is the International Speech Contest. The International Speech Contest is the only category where the Winner will advance beyond the District. The winner at the International Convention each August earns the title: World Champion of Public Speaking.
- Spring Convention 2012 Contest Page
- Spring Convention 2011 Contest Page
- Spring Convention 2010 Contest Page
- Spring Convention 2009 Contest Page